Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Traveling with SJS

I think I'm down two kilos. I'm drinking (strong macchiato, elegant Italian wines, formidable beers) and eating (white pizza and calzones with artichokes, mushrooms, spinach and lots of cheeses) but feeling a little less full. We are on the move! I should've predicted this - my dear traveling buddy is moving like he's wearing Brown and the air is late! My dear readers - my kids - you recognize this! You've seen this movie, maybe Steve, too. When SJS has a project to complete, move over! While I didn't know him as a very young man, I'm getting a glimpse of what he might have been like as a boy: hearty appetite when I finally proclaim that's enough for one day; he wants to tour every church we pass, jump up on things to get the best shot with his new camera, and set the alarm every night because there's so much to see tomorrow. I have my own personal Rick Steves! But he always grabs my suitcase when there are steps to navigate, he seems to have memorized most of the maps we need, he knows key Italian phrases and uses them at appropriate times (we were charged €3.2 last night at dinner for the linen table service and I'm still not sure what my Iowa boy was muttering) and today he reserved us first class on the train, which meant a little more room, and complimentary drinks and snacks, as we travel to one of the most romantic towns on our trip - Venice - and we're not setting an alarm tomorrow! Love from Venezia!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds a lot like my one experience traveling with MIM... I think we both have first class gentlemen and travel buddies! :)

    ReplyDelete