Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Last and The Least

24% of US households don't have internet.  Extraordinary sacrifices don't necessarily include going without internet when, if you're poor, you have needs that are really compelling. 

This weekend we prayed for "the last and the least" - I kept thinking about prayers to end poverty and the knee-jerk reaction I have to turn my thoughts elsewhere because it is super painful and not very personal and I can easily keep it off my radar.  Just being born in America is a leg up by most standards.  A typical teenager in an African country, if they have a chance of surfing the web, will spend about $2 to watch a YouTube video, due to the low bandwidths.

I wasn't born a Kennedy but I also don't have to worry about my next meal, or my next trip, real or virtual.  All I really have to bother myself with is this:  am I doing enough?  Do my words match my actions?


Matthew 25:34-36  "Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me."

1 comment: