Sunday, April 6, 2014

Europe 2014

So long, cobblestone streets, gothic cathedrals, medieval castles, and all those lost moments.  Mix in those times when Shawn and I squeeze hands without exchanging any words, just glances that show we both can't believe we're really here, seeing this, smelling that, hearing foreign words and strong accents - the very reason I love the travel:  to see the differences, appreciate the various cultures, and ultimately?  It's easy to see our sameness, a common humanity - we want love, food, security, and opportunity.

As much as we tried, we probably fell short of being "temporary locals" - but our willingness to try is exemplified in yesterday's lunch at a popular cafe in Minden, Germany - I ordered the curry wurst - and all the wonderful local pastries, wines and beers we tried.

Traveling with my BFF always works perfectly, even when we miss our connecting flight or get lost - his steady hand reminds me that all is okay in the world.  Traveling with my brothers and sisters-in-laws was a treasurable experience I won't soon forget, like Saturday afternoon when the 6 of us were piled in a rental minivan blasting down the Autobahn, listening to the Beatles!  Sharing giggles and more than a couple bottles of Spanish wine at Morley's with my sweet sisters-in-law is a real treat of a memory.  And the fact that all three of us Rank sibs avoid onions is only one of the many discoveries I made while hanging out with all of them.  Prost!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks to my BFF for another wonderful experience. Nothing better than being with you wherever we are. Had so much fun with my in-laws in Eisenach, Minden and Dusseldorf. Eager for the next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You avoid onions?! Apparently the Rank genes aren't as dominant as I originally believed! :)

    ReplyDelete