Monday, January 12, 2015

Quick Draw

We did it again!  Out of my comfort zone and through the snow...we went...to the Knights annual blood draw in Fairfax.  And I always feel so good, albeit a bit weak, afterward.

Did you know?

A person with AB positive blood is known as a universal recipient (someone who can receive blood of any type), and someone with O negative blood is known as a universal donor. (a person who can give blood to recipients of any blood type). 

Whitney, the kind young woman who put up with my wisecracks:

Whitney:  Can I get you anything to drink?
Me:  Yes, how about a Vodka Tonic?

Whitney reminded me they get people like me all the time.  Don't forget, she said, we go to the high schools.

Up to four different products can be produced from each whole blood donation:  red blood cells, platelets, fresh frozen plasma and cryoprecipitate.

It's official -we're common and average.  Both Shawn and I have O+ blood - and enjoy popularity with the most common blood type (39% of the population).  Whitney, my personal phlebotomist, told me this profound thing:  Positives can get from negatives but not the other way.



1 comment:

  1. Tough cookie / awesome person. And I love your boots.

    ReplyDelete