Monday, January 20, 2014

MLK

This free day holds memories for me - I used to take the kids skiing on MLK day, or stay home and paint someone's bedroom.  It was always a day we spent together, the kids and me, usually doing something out of the ordinary, despite the cold.  Looking back, I wish I had steered them to honor the day, the man and his vision; I wish we had spent, even a few hours, in community service, in some way.

"It really boils down to this:  that all life is interrelated.  We are all caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied into a single garment of destiny.  Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.  We are made to live together because of the interrelated structure of reality."
     - Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (from his "Christmas Season on Peace," Dec. 24, 1967)

No comments:

Post a Comment