Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Hurts, Habits, and Hangups

We each face our own uphill challenges and then, also, and sometimes simultaeously, life's sweet ride from the top.  Each of us is in a different place in our lives.


Our filters help us, and can sometimes support our biased perspectives.  We interpret the world in a very predictable and auto-pilot way, unless we're paying attention.  Often, I've wanted my struggles to count toward something, to get credit for my suffering.  We all really just want to matter. 


When meeting a stranger, I work on suppressing my instinct to let them know what I do, what I'm doing, where I'm going.  I know all that stuff, and if they stay in my life, they eventually will, too.  What I really want is interaction, with the hopeful possibility of connection.


It's in the mattering less and the grace of helping others to matter more that the real flakes of happiness sparkle. 


I'm trying to starve my hurts, evaluate my habits, let go of my hangups.


There's freedom in practicing this, and it's easier to notice the simple pleasures and pinpoint what really matters, especially in the stillness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment