Thursday, December 19, 2013

What We Take In

I must remember to stay in the present moment, to appreciate what's happening right now, even with a holiday list as long as my arm.

I find myself, with holiday plans stabilizing, already jumping ahead to thoughts of the new year.  I do hope to be a nicer person.  I resolve not to let my busyness mislead me.  I resolve other things, too, like to eat better, drink less, and break other hurtful habits, like fixating on what someone left unsaid. 

What are the other things we take in?  What comes in, consciously or when we are on autopilot?  I vow to be more selective - not only in what I ingest in my body but what I choose to take into my brain.  What is my experience and am I actually noticing?  Do I want to take in that gossip, that criticism, that conjecture?  Maybe...but I DO have a choice.

I have a choice to walk right around it.  Hasta la vista!

I have a choice to view this renewed mindfulness for what it is, with intention, and with curiosity and acceptance.

*****************************


The following may or may not be related to this post, it depends on how you squint, but I do so like it:

"If we could read the secret history of our enemies we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility."
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


No comments:

Post a Comment