Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Kill your Darlings

A leadership post in this morning's inbox really sent me reeling.  Kill your darlings, it recommends.

The article contends that the sooner you relinquish something (or someone) that isn't working for you, the quicker you can move to something suitable, something worth building.  We hang on desperately to our long-held beliefs, our darlings, long after they are useful. 

Thinking about this sends me to my default for conflict - the following 3 questions:


1.  Can I fix this?
2.  Do I have to put up with this?
3.  Should I walk away?

Leaders are not pushovers when they reconsider their convictions.  You do not have enough time to keep working on something that is never going to work.  The cost of conflict is high - loss of productivity, loss of innovation, loss of motivation, loss of trust...


Take a ride, or a walk, and envision a new certainty.




No comments:

Post a Comment