Saturday, July 19, 2014

Rockin' It, One Step at a Time!

Running is, naturally, about so much more than running.  It's about awakening that thing you used to do naturally as a kid without even realizing it.

My training methods haven't been an exact science, well actually they have, under the auspicious direction of Austin.  But that doesn't mean we followed his directions exactly.  We rested when we were injured, duh!, but our longest run was 8 miles...instead of 12.  Life got in the way - projects and work commitments and wonderful visits to Chicago, not often enough the scenic lakeside, but healthy and restorative nonetheless.  I'm feeling mean (lean?) but still not ready to run up Pikes Peak or the Copper Canyons of Mexico or anything.  I am ready for the half, I'm ready for the run.  Which is a good thing, because my alarm will be going off about 5 am tomorrow for this thing.

I learned many things the past six months:  protein shakes are delicious with vanilla lite soy milk, tart cherry juice twice a day the week before the race is advisable, my feet sweat way more than is acceptable (and way more than the rest of me), my Bobsession doesn't get me through a tough run (but huge nods to Springsteen's Thunder Road and Katy Perry's Roar), I can go farther than I ever dreamed possible...and also that I actually like to run, and that I will keep running.  My bones, my heart, the scale, and my tightly-strung nervous system all now depend on it.

I'm ready for you, Rock 'n' Roll Chicago Half Marathon.  I'm coming for ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment