Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Fun begets fun

One of the things I resolve to do in 2014, besides limiting the sweet eats, is to bring other kinds of sweetness into my life.  To go after fun.  To intentionally hunt it down and claim it.  No one is going to knock on the door and say, "Jen, how about some fun today?"  And if they did, that would be very creepy.

So today my work day (working from home!) reached its natural conclusion a bit early and I found myself, mate attached, at a 4 pm matinee.  There were ten people in the theatre, which automatically works to the fun advantage.  Sprinkle in two dollar popcorn and it's just a love fest for me!

Meryl Streep can play anybody, I'm convinced.  I think I'd want her to play me - or maybe not.  She has the talent to expose everything.  Julia Roberts was at her best...ever.  We saw August: Osage County and it was stirring.  A movie about family dysfunction, unhappy people, passing it down through the generations:  meanness, secrets, strong women and exaggerated bad behavior, sisters so disconnected and still sharing something, misery begetting misery.  Somehow, it's a film that stops you in your tracks, guides you to that foregone conclusion that sometimes walking away is the only answer, and that is probably the most disturbing thing of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment